RV Solar: DIY or hire a Professional
In this article, I take a look at DIY (Do-It-Yourself) RV solar vs. hiring a professional. Actually, there is a third way that nearly 50% of our customers use, and that is to do much of it yourself, and only get us to help out on the difficult parts. Which we don’t mind a bit.
There are several reasons why you might want to do RV solar yourself:
1) You are handy and talented and enjoy doing projects yourself.
2) You are handy and talented and want to try to save some money.
3) You have been burned by an RV dealership service department and don’t trust them to work on your RV (this happens more than you might think)
On the other hand, there are several reasons you might want to hire a professional:
1) You know nothing about solar or electricity and don’t want to kill yourself.
2) You aren’t very handy or talented with tools and ladders and such, and don’t want to kill yourself.
3) You have done all the internet research on RV solar and discovered that NOT EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET IS TRUE OR ACCURATE.
This last statement is the main reason people come to Leisure Solar to have us do their install. We keep up with all the latest trends and products and know the best way to do solar stuff. For example, we know all about batteries (lithium and lead acid) and charge algorithms and battery monitors and CCSPs (Cheap Chinese Solar Products) and mounting panels to roofs so they don’t leak or fly off while driving down the interstate. The second reason people come to us is because “they don’t want to kill themselves”. The truth is, solar installs rarely kill anyone, unless you fall off the roof and hit your head. Or your new solar system doesn’t have enough power to make a cup of coffee in the morning, and you go postal from caffeine withdrawal.
At Leisure Solar, over the years we have discovered that most of our customers want the security of talking to someone who has done hundreds of RV solar designs and installs. We know the exact equipment to use, and are able to tailor a system to meet any specific need or budget. We take a lot of time to truly understand your expectations for your solar system, and create a system that meets your exact needs for the least amount of money. Give us a call (970-216-0701), we love to just chat about everything solar and electrical.